As we get further into July, some Top Secret Autumn preparation is taking place and I realised that I hadn’t told y’all what I’ve been up to for ages, so here’s a list:
- Gone outside a LOT and walked whenever possible
- Hung out with some of my favourite people, drank, ate and laughed a lot
- Visited the maps at the British Library about 3 times
- Saw Future of the Left post-Kelson’s departure, they were okay but the magic was lost
- Circus Boy came for a visit to celebrate his birthday
- Alex CF’s stunning exhibition of Many Dead Things opened in Shoreditch
- Went to the amazing Frisky & Mannish show at Udderbelly, where I laughed so hard I cried and cringed so hard I hid
- Was introduced to lush Mint and Chilli tea
- Went to Futurising. It was brilliant, my favourite bits were Tom Hunter and Morag Myerscough
- Ankles was played on Radio Teesdale
- My wonderful friend Sarah and I met Terry Pratchett and saw China Mieville on a panel with Adam Roberts and some other leaders in Sci Fi fiction
- Started watching Mad Men. Wow.
- Went to the Science Museum. The best bit was the sound exhibit; watched a presentation about Space, there were explosions and I learnt some sign language
- I joined Formspring and have been asked lots of interesting questions
- Put up some shelves and finally got my favourite books out of storage. There were also some DVDs that I’d forgotten about
- I saw China Mieville speak a second time at the Stoke Newington Literary Festival
- We celebrated a whole year since my first solo gig by going to see Jim Bob read from his book and play some music; he was supported by Isy Suttie and Andrew Collins
Saving the best till last: I’ve set up a Tumblr blog to share inspirations I find on this here internets.
I was also commissioned by a dance company to create two pieces of music for some choreography. They wanted there to be some links between the two pieces but very different feels. You can listen to the final tracks here:
This month is mostly planning, writing (I’m only halfway through the album), re-recording and re-editing. Off to Truck in a couple of weeks, where I’m gonna see Something Beginning With L, Pulled Apart By Horses and Islet all in the same place (can’t quite believe my luck).
Remember if you put good stuff out there, life can be a wonderful thing. Be generous of your time and your spirit and the rewards you reap will be beyond your imaginings. I’ve been focusing on seeing the good in all people and in living without bravado. Laughter is the best medicine.