Argh! So much has happened since I did a proper blog I don’t know where to start. With a list of course!
- In October 2010 I had the start of my first ever tattoo. It was finished in February 2011 and is one of the best things I’ve ever done. I love it and I am so grateful to the artist Henry Hate. He is like the Juliette Binoche character from Chocolat but for tattoos. I went in with an idea and came out with my soul on my skin.
- I did my first ever solo tour of the UK. Unfortunately I didn’t manage to book any Wales gigs this time round but I’m hoping to soon enough. I went to Bristol, Cambridge, Glasgow and Ayr. The Scottish gigs were with tour buddy Dave Hughes who is like a cross between Shane MacGowan and Macaulay Culkin and knows more about Bruce Springsteen than anyone I know. I had tonnes of fun and adventures along the way. The new set-up using a small 80s keyboard rather than my big full-size one works much better (even though it does leave me with nothing to hide behind!).
- I have new hair. It is short-ish and blonde. I adore it. The best hairdresser I’ve ever had did it. You can find her on Twitter. If I ever get a world tour, Sapphire is coming with me to do my hair.
- I finally got to the Out Of This World exhibition at the British Library. It is fantastic. The only frustrating thing is not being able to touch and smell the original copies of these wonderful books. I will be going back again before it finishes.
- My favourite wannbe-rollergirl’s boyfriend arranged an incredible birthday surprise treasure hunt for her around the National Galleries and Trafalgar Square. Her closest friends all dressed up as characters from her two favourite stories: Alice In Wonderland and Mary Poppins. It caused a bit of a ruckus when security tried to chuck us out though and we ended up being chased by around 7 security guards. It all ended in a tea party. I was the Cheshire Cat, obvs.
- The Very Exciting Thing I am doing is now underway. I still can’t say much about it but as soon as I can I will let you know. At the moment it is just in the research stages.
- I booked my first holiday for about 5 years: In October I’ll be visiting one of my best friends in Bangkok then we’re also going to Bali too! I almost fainted when I read the confirmation emails. I have been ordered I’m not allowed to do any work at all while I’m there. I might have to sneak some online time to dispel any withdrawal symptoms!
- The new single Milk and Water is almost ready. It has been a labour of love.
- The artist development programme I created for Drake Music has finally been given a little bit of money for the first session. I’m really looking forward to it although it means more work for me!
- Lots of changes have happened that make me think East London might not be the place for me soon, I love it here and of course my heart will always belong to London but I’m thinking more and more about moving away. I won’t be going too far and I’m sure you’ll read about this in the forthcoming year.
- And FINALLY I am planning my next party. It won’t be until the autumn and will have a very different feel as well as be a more ‘exclusive’ event. More to follow!
So all in all a transforming few months. Not sure what’s next, which is (as you know) how I like it. Exciting times. #followthesignsTags: Dave Hughes, Hackney, Henry Hate, holiday, Lairy Poppins, Lists, Milk And Water, performing, science fiction, tattoo, The Angel
I am entirely blown away.
I can’t thank you enough Joey.Tags: joey2tits, remix, The Angel
September 20th, 2010Music
My debut single The Angel EP comes out today. You can buy it online if you’re that way inclined (iTunes or Bandcamp). I had an amazing time last night at the launch party and here are some thank yous:
- All the artists who played: Tunnels, Pagan Wanderer Lu, Something Beginning With L and DJ Schone Mond.
- Everyone at Catch especially Ben who put up with my many emails and Martin who did a great job with the sound.
- Melanie and Ziggy for their help with the poster, which I love and is gorgeous.
- The Girls of the Penthouse and my Hackney Family: Sandi, Clare, Sean and Tom. Hannah, Mike and Chris.
- My In Real Life Family: Flea and Al, Chris T-T and Rifa B.
- Ingie for his storming remix of Android Song.
- Alex CF for his beautiful artwork and suffering at the hands of my evangelical positivity.
- Sarah Harries and Emma Hogan for their friendship, guidance and for going out of their way to help me. This summer has been the best one of my life.
Finally some extra special thank yous:
- Colin and Paula McCracken (or Mr and Mrs Zombiehamster as I know them) for their love and support.
- My Glamorous Assistants: Roseanna, Katharina and Cassie, the three best girls in the world.
- and James Anthony for teaching me about writing and stuff.
You have waited long enough people!
single: exceptional exclusive individual indivisible original rare solitary special strange unique unrivaled unshared unusual without equal (via @annamadeleine)
I can now reveal that on Monday 20th September 2010 I will be releasing my very first single, The Angel (from forthcoming album 2010) as a digital download EP.
You will be able to buy The Angel along with 4 other tracks from iTunes, Bandcamp and all your usual online stores.
Plus, if that wasn’t enough excitement: I can also reveal that the hugely talented Alex CF has created an amazing piece of art for the cover. I can’t say how much it means to me to be collaborating with Alex in this way, his work is stunning. (no you can’t see it yet!)
alliance: affinity bond coalition coherence collaboration communion congruity connection cooperation friendship participation support union (via @rifa)
And of course we can’t have a single launch without a LAUNCH PARTY:
Sunday 19th September
7.30-1am free entry
Catch, Kingsland Road, London
DJ: Schone Mond
There will be lots of angelic-themed fun and games. The gorgeous girls, Cassie and Roseanna (2 of my 3 glamorous assistants) will be there helping me make sure you all have a great time (Katharina will be there too in spirit of course!).
So, take the Monday off work and come to East London from wherever you are, to party with me and the gang.
Much more information to follow.
Thanks to wonderful Melanie Clifford for her brilliant photographic skills. Massive thanks to Sarah Harries and Rifa B for their help and support. The Angel is for James Anthony.Tags: 2010, Alex CF, Catch, Pagan Wanderer Lu, Schone Mond, single, Something Beginning With L, The Angel